Dismiss this notice
Hey, guest! Welcome to Trouble Cube! Stay a while and chat with us!

Visual Novel Book Club
Visual novels! Novels with visuals, sometimes with choices, sometimes not, but always with plenty of words! What genre do you want? Murder mystery? Courtroom drama? Romance? Horror? Uh. Ah. Something a bit more adult?

Visual novels have something for you! But let's not talk about that last one. We can leave the last one out of this.

Anyone read anything good?
"oh hell no, kung fu panda!"
Kimi ga Shine, as I'm sure everyone's heard me blabbing my head off about. To those who somehow don't know what that is—it's a freeware horror VN (both in-browser and downloadable) better known as Your Turn to Die in the ENG fandom, and what I personally like to call Danganronpa-But-Better-and-Also-No-One-Kills-Each-Other,-Actually.

The story's difficult to talk about without spoilers (per the nature of DR-esque games) but good god is it a ride, I found myself pretty blown away by just how layered the twists and reveals were on my first playthrough, and honestly? Still am. It gets to the point that I tend to say it's less about horror, so much as the sheer intrigue, particularly in Ch. 2's main game; if at all possible I'd advise anyone thinking of trying it out to go in 100% blind. It also does a surprising amount with its characters, even posthumously. (The minigames/puzzles aren't half bad either.) Better watch out with how easy it is to get attached, lol.

All I ask of this game is that if not 3-2, 3-1B finally get released... Nankidai. Sensei. Please. It's been almost a year we need foooood /hj

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you do ever play, do it with headphones straight out. The OST's atmosphere adds sooo much.
[Image: bb0ecb42111c57f72c68ae22416ffcb828b3ff47.gif]
Me, only halfway through Higurashi with Umineko and Ciconia following after that, sitting on Saya no Uta, and still lagging behind in Zero Escape: hm, I should check this one out
Hey Zorua

I played YTTD/Kimi-ga-Shine yesterday

It's fun but I was scared shitless
silver dollar, black smoke in my eyes
shattered glass, fallen fast, leave me paralysed
Damn lol was it that bad? Thought the only outright freaky moment would be the end of 1-1 (at least early game). What'd you think of the characters so far, by the way?
[Image: bb0ecb42111c57f72c68ae22416ffcb828b3ff47.gif]
Less that and more paranoid as fuck.

Anyways, they're all pretty cool. Though since I know the spoilers I might still keep my opinion on a certain someone idk
Hey speaking of scared shitless guess who played Saya no Uta after saying she was putting it off the other day?

I did! It was me! And it's not terrifying in the way of something jumping out and saying boo, or even in the kind of terrifying like Higurashi's first arc that just leaves you feeling like you're being physically attacked with the levels of stress it's giving you

No, it's the kind of terrifying where a scene is so harrowing that I had to turn the game off and just

Stare vacantly into space for a bit.

It's not for the faint of heart.
with that said hey you should check out saya no uta, song of saya in english
My introduction to visual novels was Doki Doki Literature Club. And HOO BOY, what an introduction it was. I'm tempted to give Higurashi a shot because I'm one horror-loving bastard.

I refuse to be polite or heterosexual

[Image: 4cf.png]
I have Amnesia: Memories I've been meaning to play. I ended up doing... oh what was his name, Toma's route? I got locked into bad endings because I did so badly. After that I was like "Ah, I'll try again later..." and then never did.
So I adore Karre from Star Wars: Visions now. That was completely unexpected since I'm not a huge Star Wars fan or anything.
I know what Amnesia: Memories is but my horror-adled brain is no longer allowed to hear the word Amnesia and not think of the horror series of the same name.
Would you believe me if I told you that Discord is dead set convinced that I'm playing the horror series Amnesia when I'm playing Amnesia: Memories?

Because it honestly does, and I still cannot wrap my head around it.
So I adore Karre from Star Wars: Visions now. That was completely unexpected since I'm not a huge Star Wars fan or anything.
Oh ye gods I just downloaded Chapter 1 of Higurashi

Lawd have mercy on my soul

You've FALLEN FOR MY TRAP

the first half is really kinda tiring but once it hits the fan

god

it hits the fan
I'm actually liking it so far. The bundle for chapters 2 and beyond is like $40 though, oof.

It adds up after a while yeah. The first arc was charged too for a while, but it went free a while ago so it can act as a sort of demo for Higurashi as a whole

IIIII paid for it! yay
Honestly Higurashi's been going great for me so far and I'm not even done with Onikakushi-hen yet. I also weirdly love how interacting with the menu items makes an old-school mouse clicking sound.

what chapter ya on!!!!! Higurashi has like a pattern where shit hits the fan at the exact halfway point.
You know, I am kind of interested in checking out Higurashi, but I fear it might be a bit too much for me. ^^;
Recently finished Murder by Numbers! Good game mixing a murder mystery VN with Picross puzzles
Glitchy Bootleg Lasers
(02-05-2021, 21:05:52 PM)Huney Wrote: what chapter ya on!!!!! Higurashi has like a pattern where shit hits the fan at the exact halfway point.

Uhhhhh.... 4 or 5 I think? I don't remember but it was around there.

Ah, nice nice. You just finished the Watanagashi, I'd assume?

Visual Novel picross

This game sounds like it was made specifically for me how long have I not known about it
As someone who loves both this kind of VN and picross I knew I had to get it, it's on Switch and Steam, I actually randomly came across it when it was shown as "game of the day" recently on Switch

(Also a warning for completionists: it's possible to miss out on a puzzle during chapter 3, meaning you can't reach rank S and get the final secret puzzles (as I unfortunately found out) so be careful to find all possible puzzles here before the story moves on)
Glitchy Bootleg Lasers
...fuck. I was planning on playing YTTD again but for some reason Safari was like "haha can't access VGperson's server go brrrr"

..like what???