Trouble Cube Forums
The Slakoth Run - Printable Version

+- Trouble Cube Forums (https://troublecube.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Trouble Cube (https://troublecube.net/mybb/Forum-Trouble-Cube)
+--- Forum: Misc (https://troublecube.net/mybb/Forum-Misc)
+---- Forum: Alive Blogs (https://troublecube.net/mybb/Forum-Alive-Blogs)
+---- Thread: The Slakoth Run (/Thread-The-Slakoth-Run)

The Slakoth Run - Guma - 03-20-2021

[Image: the-slakoth-run-logo.png]

Many Pokémon challenge runners have stood up to the test of completing an entire game using only a single weak and unevolved Pokémon. MahDryBread, Jrose11, Pokémon Challenges, you name it. So I figured, if it's that easy, why not try it myself? In this run, I'm seeing if I can beat Pokémon Sapphire with nothing but a single Slakoth—and no items in battle. Can I do it? Only one way to find out.

The reason I picked Slakoth is of course its Ability, Truant. If you don't know, a Pokémon with Truant will “loaf around” and not use a move every two turns. Despite Slakoth's base 60 Attack and Defense, which is surprisingly good for an unevolved Pokémon, Truant combined with its other stats being weak will make even the early game tough. It's an ability tailor-made just for Slakoth and its final evolution Slaking.

Which begs the question: why does Durant have it?

SOLO RUN RULES
* I must catch a Slakoth in Petalburg Woods and only use it for the rest of the game. I am not allowed to evolve it.
* I am allowed to catch other Pokémon for HMs, so long as I don't use them in combat. They must gain as little experience as physically possible.
* In-battle items are banned. Held items and out-of-battle items are fair game.
* Save scumming is allowed. I can reset from my last save by pressing A+B+Start+Select whenever I want.
* Emulator-specific tactics such as savestates and speedup are banned.
* The run ends once I defeat Steven Stone.

DAY 1
[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-22-43.png]

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-23-57.png]

With my options and Trainer all set, I was ready to go. Also, #DownWithShiftMode.

After going through the usual motions, it was time to pick my starter. Now, MahDryBread always does this thing in his solo runs where he replaces a specific starter with his Pokémon to make sure the rival will have a type advantage over it.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-27-19.png]

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-29-35.png]

Well, I'm not MahDryBread, so I picked Mudkip. It learns every required HM, but I would still need more HM Pokémon.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-37-22.png]

Fucking finally.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-38-43.png]

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-39-49.png]

Unfortunately, both the first Trainer battle on Route 102 and the first Brendan fight were completely unavoidable and caused Mudkip to gain some experience. Hopefully this is where it stays. I managed to avoid all other Trainers on my way to Petalburg.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-42-28.png]

Of course my dad, with his 2 Slaking, was fully supportive of my goal.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-46-04.png]

At last I arrived at Petalburg Woods. Along with catching 2 more HM Pokémon, all I had to do was wait for the magical moment to arrive.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-53-20.png]

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-55-52.png]

Meet Sloth Geller, the Pokémon that will conquer Hoenn or loaf around trying.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-03-46.png]

And loaf around trying.

She's got a Lax nature, which is + Defense and - Sp. Def. Could be better . . . but could be worse.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-01-30.png]

My HM Pokémon were stored in the Box for later.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-05-37.png]

I fainted for the first time against the Lass on Route 102, as Zigzagoon are the single most annoying Pokémon for Slakoth to deal with, as they're really fast and can lower her Attack with Growl. And she had two of them. So I reset, focusing on the wild Pokémon instead before moving to Trainers. Fortunately, Scratch is 100% accurate and has STAB.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-21-01.png]

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-27-14.png]

There was surprisingly good luck with crits while grinding.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-30-37.png]

Slakoth fainted again against a Taillow on 104 the same level as her. Even his Seedot was a pain because of Bide.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-33-13.png]

Oh yeah, this asshole.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-51-07.png]

Ladies and gentlemen, the LOAF-OFF! [airhorns]

I demolished the 6-Wurmple Bug Catcher and the Team Aqua Grunt in the woods and went to battle the Trainers on the second half of Route 104, wherein I had not as much trouble as before due to Slakoth's higher level. One Trainer did give me problems, though.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-56-43.png]

This Shroomish had Effect Spore, which put me to sleep *twice* on the first attempt, which caused me to faint and restart. (At this point, I'm not keeping track of faints anymore.) Second attempt, she paralyzed me, which is scary when combined with Truant. But Slakoth stood up against the odds, ate her Oran Berry, and attacked on every turn she could, winning the fight.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-58-10.png]

What is it with kids and criticizing me in these games? First that boy in Dragon Quest XI who called me “horrible” for not getting his cat off of a rooftop, and now you.

[Image: Pokemon-Sapphire-Version-Europe-Rev-1-20...-13-01.png]

So now I'm at Rustboro and Slakoth is at Lv. 12. She learns Slack Off next level, which could be essential, but there's no way I'm beating Roxanne at this level. Signing off for now.

RE: The Slakoth Run - awe921 - 03-21-2021

oh SHIT A CHALLENGE RUN!!!!!!!!!! this will really really spice up the live blog

RE: The Slakoth Run - artsyGeek - 03-22-2021

OH HAIL YEAH THIS IS DOPE!

RE: The Slakoth Run - KungFuCutbug - 03-22-2021

challenge runs? oooh

RE: The Slakoth Run - JKBenbot - 03-26-2021

Hey it's me here, Make sur HM Pokémon are fainted so they can't be force swapped to.